Saturday, April 7, 2012

Happy Easter!

Easter is here and that means, eggs, tie-dye, bunnies, and baked goods! To get into the Easter spirit I decided to do some baking. I had bought all these baking supplies and hadn’t had the time to bake a thing. I whipped out the usual baking supplies and ingredients: mixing bowl, whisk, baking pan, wax paper, eggs, flour, butter, rice krispies, marshmallows and a pack of sugar cookie mix that my friend, Susie, had given me. As the oven heated up to 350°, I melted some butter and marshmallows in a pan and mixed it with the Rice Krispies. I transferred that to a pan and was ready to make the cookies.
Rice Krispie Treats
When I make cookies, I usually drop cookie dough on the pan. This time I wanted to try and roll out the cookie dough and cut out bunny and egg shaped cookies. I had limited supplies, but I was going to give it a shot.

Tips and Tricks I learned…
  • When flattening the cookie dough, make sure there is enough flour on the dough, so it isn’t as sticky.
  • Don’t have cookie cutters? You can simply use a knife and cut your own shapes right on the dough; or you can make your own cookie cutters from those heavy duty disposable pans. I learned this trick from Miss Strawberry in her Making of Delicious Kpop Battle video. (Thanks Miss Strawberry!)
  • If dough is freshly mixed and soft, don’t throw the scraps away after you cut out the cookies. You can easily mash the extra dough together and flatten it back out to cut out more cookies.
  • When placing a cut out bunny on your baking pan, make sure to spread out the bunny’s ears, so the ears won’t get stuck together as it bakes.
  • Let the cookies cool off before you decorate them. You don’t want your cookie icing to melt.
  • Have fun decorating! Don't be afraid to get messy.
Decorative icing I used
Here is how my cookies turned out!
Easter cookies
Happy Easter everyone!

1 comment: