Thursday, March 29, 2012

Some knitting indulgence for myself

Ever receive a knitted scarf? Have you seen people knit and wished you could knit? I had always wanted to knit, but never sat down and learned until Christmas break 2011. Oh boy, did I not know what I was getting into. I went to my local Joann’s; I bought a “Learn How to Knit in One Day” book, some yarn and a pair of knitting needles; and then I went home and started to learn how to knit. Once I got the hang of things, it was a breeze. I had learned later on that the smaller the knitting needles, the more knitting I would have to do.

The type of yarn I used to knit
 my first scarf
I had the ambition of knitting two scarves for my friends’ Christmas presents. I thought three weeks would be a piece of cake to knit two scarves, but I didn’t quite think things through. I picked a really thick, fuzzy, Joann Sensations type of yarn to knit my first scarf. It was so hard to see where the knits were for this type of yarn. When I finally got that scarf done in February 2012, I was able to start my second scarf. This type of yarn was much easier to knit and only took me three days. When those scarves were done, it was hard to give them to my friends because I worked so hard on them. In the end they loved them!

Since I had some extra yarn left over, I decided it was time to knit something for myself. I decided to knit a bow and it turned better than I thought. Now I have something I knitted that I can wear, and someone else may be the one thinking, “I wish I knew how to knit.” If you are that someone, here is the site that really helped me (because the book wasn't as hands on): Knitting Help.
My knitted bow 
I put a clip on the back so I can wear it in my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment